I have lectured individuals engaged in undergraduate, Masters and Doctorate projects, and researchers from Post-doc. to Professor. Hands-on demonstrations, head-to-head tutorials via whiteboard, powerpoint presentations and remote computing methods, all extensively used.
PhD supervision, 2012-, project of Ms Liang Wang, “The structure and function of the cyanobacterial kinase, Hik2”, co-PI, with Richard Pickersgill (previously with Dr Norbert Krauss, Prof John Allen). MSci in Biochemistry, Advanced Methods in Biochemical Research, 2016-, tutorials.
PhD supervision, 2008-2009, project "Photosystem supermolecular structures in cyanobacteria" MRes supervision, 2001-2007, laboratory projects, dissertation guidance and presentation (5 students) MRes presentation and dissertation marking & examination.
Undergraduate Lectures/Practical 2003-2007 (typically 100 students in class): "The ATPases" - 6 lectures assigned; UG3 "Calvin Cycle & the Dark Reactions"; Protein Science UG2 "Molecular Photobioenergetics"; Biological Chemistry UG1 "Molecular Photobioenergetics"; Proteins & Enzymes UG1 Practical: "Chloroplasts"; 2 days long. Practical: "Molecular visualisation"; two repeats. Practical: "Web-page design; protein science structures”’; 1 day.
Undergraduate exam question composition/marking & UG final year project examiner.
The following list reflects those individuals I have guided for at least one month, and this teaching has, to my knowledge, directly resulted in at least 14 publications: (Initials are used for reasons of privacy).
19. KM - PDRA: Guidance in (cryo-)TEM and image-processing. 2016-.
18. RBS - PDRA: Guidance in (cryo-)TEM and image-processing. 2014-2016.
17. KZ - Supervisor: Training of all relevant aspects of structural biology Aug. 2009-to date. One publication. 16. MC - Supervisor: 6 month MSc project Oct. 2006-April 2007. One publication.
15. BO - as joint Supervisor: 12 month MSc placement. Oct.-Sept. 2006
14. JS - as joint Supervisor: 4 month MRes project. Oct.- March 2006